Book Club Discussion Questions
1. Kate Landers idolized her grandfather. When she discovers he’d been laundering money for the drug cartel, she knows it was wrong, even though he did it for his family’s benefit. Have you ever encountered a situation where you know something is wrong, yet there will be positive outcomes? How do you reconcile the two?
2. Kate tends to trust her family (and adopted family members like Uncle Cedar) and distrust strangers, yet it was her family members who betrayed her. Her mother hid much from her. What would it take for you to forgive a family member who kept such a large secret from you? Could you ever forgive and forget?
3. Kate knowingly breaks her promise when she heads to Florida to get Owen and her mother. Is it okay to break a promise when greater concerns are at play? When have you broken a promise and how did it turn out? How did you justify it?
4. Kate and her cousin Calvin’s wife Beth have a rocky relationship. Why do you think Kate had a change of heart and helped Beth disappear? Do you think Beth was in danger from Cedar? Did Kate save Beth’s life by getting her away, and how did that complicate Kate’s life?
5. Kate’s cousin Calvin is always scheming, trying to find get-rich-quick plans. Do you think he got what was coming to him? Or was he just unlucky in his choice of business partners?
6. Kate says that her “Granddad would have never named me as trustee if he’d known I was Juan Cabral’s daughter.” Do you agree?
7. Why do you think the US Marshal Service was called in on this job, instead of the FBI or the CIA or other governmental agency? Did you learn anything more about the Marshal Service that you didn’t already know?
8. What do you think changed Nathan’s mind about Kate? He began by wondering if she was capable of running a drug cartel but then recommended her for the Marshal Service. Do you think those are skills that would be easily transferrable?
9. At the end, Kate appears likely to take a job with the US Marshal Service. Do you think she is qualified? Why or why not?
10. Kate’s family appears close on the surface—a successful grandfather, his socialite daughter, Kate, and her son Owen. Yet they all have secrets they keep, even from those they are close to. Do all families have secrets?